PreviousPrevious
The ninth Hospital got its name from the transport - tram number 9 which had its last stop nearby. The construction of the building started in 1903 and ended in 1908. At the beginning, there was a monastery here, later on theological seminary, St. Andrew Church and infirmary. After the Russian occupation in 1921, the church had its arched windows closed up and dome destroyed, and the building was used for an agricultural institute. In 1940s a hospital was opened here. The building is second oldest building in Vake area after the Tbilisi State University building. 

Currently the building is under construction and, according to the workers, a theological seminary will be re-opened here soon. 

Source: Interview with Goga Kartvelishvili, Journal “Tbiliselebi”
Seminaria-mecxre-saavadmyofo42_large
NextNext
1900
1 / 3
2013

Hospital 9

The ninth Hospital got its name from the transport - tram number 9 which had its last stop nearby. The construction of the building started in 1903 and ended in 1908. At the beginning, there was a monastery here, later on theological seminary, St. Andrew Church and infirmary. After the Russian occupation in 1921, the church had its arched windows closed up and dome destroyed, and the building was used for an agricultural institute. In 1940s a hospital was opened here. The building is second oldest building in Vake area after the Tbilisi State University building.

Currently the building is under construction and, according to the workers, a theological seminary will be re-opened here soon.

Source: Interview with Goga Kartvelishvili, Journal “Tbiliselebi”

Image Credit

Left Image:

  • Year: 1900
  • Source: wikipedia.org
  • Photographer: Unknown

Right Image:

  • Year: 2013
  • Source: JumpStart Georgia
  • Photographer: Irakli Chumburidze

If you have any information on this picture, place or event, let us know.

Like Us!

Get updates for Speaking Stones and other visualizations!

74 74