In 1896, on the Golovin prospect (now Rustaveli Avenue) construction finished of the new Opera Theatre designed by the architect Schreter. The new building was built to hold 1200 spectators (This is the modern building of the Opera Theatre). This so called "Treasury Theatre" was opened on 3rd November 1896 by Glinka’s opera "Ivan Susanin".
On 11 October 1874, the Tbilisi opera and ballet theater was devastated by fire. Hardly any scenery or costumes survived and the musical library was completely destroyed as well. The theatre company had to operate for some time from temporary premises.
Unrest and destabilization in Georgia in the 1990s affected the Tbilisi Opera Theater, as it did many others in the country. The government could not provide sufficient resources for the theatre to function: this prevented the creation of new scenery or costumes, the recruitment of artists, and maintenance of the already vulnerable building.
- Year: 1896
- Source: burusi.wordpress.com
- Photographer: Unknown
- Year: 2013
- Source: JumpStart Georgia
- Photographer: Irakli Chumburidze
If you have any information on this picture, place or event, let us know.
Get updates for Speaking Stones and other visualizations!